RE:TR3 front wheel bearings and other 60's junk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:TR3 front wheel bearings and other 60's junk
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:55:28 EDT

In a message dated 8/7/100 4:26:39 PM EST, sweisman@gis.net writes:

<< Advice needed:
 For the past couple of weeks, I have noticed a small amount of grease
 appearing on the outside of my passenger-side front wheel.  I think it's
 time to replace the wheel seals.  At the same time I will repack the front
 bearings.  I have never done it to this car, although I have done it to my
 MGB. >>

What do you mean by "the outside of my passenger-side front wheel? Do you
have wire wheels, or disc with hub caps?  If  steel discs do you mean outside
the hub caps on the wheels?  How much, a little smear or a big mess?  There
is really nothing that can be called a  'wheel seal' on the outside of the
front bearing assembly on the disc wheeled cars..  There is a felt seal on
the inside, on the outside there is just the grease retaining cap which
should fit tight enough to keep the grease in and not out.  Maybe it is
missing?  You might study the Moss catalog or the factory parts manual to
understand the set up.
The other thing is that it is not a healthy situation to keep an early
sidecurtain TR anywhere near an MG.  They are simply not simpatico.  TRs kept
anywhere near an MG have been know to exhibit all sorts of strange symptoms.
That might be the real source of your problem.  I had a 54 TR3 one time that
would backfire and run rough every time this particular chick with an MGA
would come around.  Fire would actually come out the tail pipe,  It was
scary.  We would run a bit and the old TR would always blow the doors off the
chick's car, then it always seemed to settle down. Then after I would spend
the night with the MG chick the TR would absolutely not start.  I'd have to
clean out the distributor cap, wiggle the wires, caress the carbs to get the
old boy to go.  The chick was real hot so I had the routine down pretty
well:)  AND I swear the hotter she was the night before, the worse the TR
acted up the next day!  That was mostly the summer of 63 and most of it
happened in the town of Woodstock way before the festival, so things might be
different today.  There were certain, ah how to say, 'chemicals' easy to find
and we had not landed on the moon yet.   MG's are just trouble though.  I'm
surprised that you keep one.  I was hardly married to the MG chick for 6
months and she just would not start and run!!
She finally just blew a head gasket and I put her in the local mental
hospital on trade for a nurse with a Volvo! ) a 544)
Hey, anyone from that area know what ever happened to Poppy the priest up on
the mountain?  Is there anyone else on the list that used to live in their
sidecurtain TR?  I remember waking up on the beach at Providencetown, Mass,
sleeping next to the 2, with tourists making home movies of me ( no video
yet). sleeping in the sand. Those were the days when my mustaches were long
enough to fit into my ears !!  I get the sinking feeling that  we're all dead.
Bob Paul
Corrales NM