diagnostic of "burnt" exhaust valve.(kinda long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: diagnostic of "burnt" exhaust valve.(kinda long)
From: Brian Borgstede <borgstede@umsl.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:46:39 -0600
Step one:  use a cheap compression tester.  Take out the spark plugs and
disconnect the coil.
do a compression test of all six.  The numbers should be within ten psi.

Step two;  Squirt a little oil into each spark plug hole and test all six
again.
Keep both sets of numbers both wet test and dry test.  If the wet test is
a lot higher than the dry test, the rings are bad.

Step three: (if number one is more than ten psi off from the others)  get a
tool from the autoparts store for changing valve stem seals.  It connects
to your air compressor and screws into the spark plug hole.  Start pumping
air into #1 and FIND THAT AIR!  You could have bubbles in the coolent, air
in the crank case, or in my case a breeze comming out the exhaust pipe!

Take a look at http://www.umsl.edu/~itcbborg/valve.htm to see what a badly
burnt exhaust valve looks like.

The test take about an hour and the tools are cheap.

>From: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
>1.) How does one diagnose a burnt exhaust valve without taking the head off.
>This guys mechanic didn't, so I wondering if this is the source of the
>problem.

   E-MAIL ADDRESS:    borgstede@umsl.edu

Brian Borgstede                 I
Telecommunications Engineer,                 I  '68 Triumph
University of Missouri, St. Louis       I
Instructional Technology Center I          TR-250
Phone:  (314) 516-6433          I       (or 2 or more)
Fax:  (314) 516-5294            I