Re: TR3/4 Flywheels vs Starter gear

To: "Pat" <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>, "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3/4 Flywheels vs Starter gear
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 07:03:33 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Pat,

The easy way is to look at the bevel on the ring gear teeth.  They have to
face the direction the bendix gear is coming from.  On the early starters,
the gear on the starter is normally (when not engaged) at the inside, close
to the starter housing, and when engaged, rides away from the starter to
meet the ring gear.  On the later starters, the bendix gear is normally at
the end of the bendix away from the housing and when engaged, rides into the
ring gear from the back.

You can also tell the difference by the presence of a housing over the end
of the bendix (bull nose) on the early starters and the exposed end on the
later ones. But I am not sure this is as reliable a method as there may be
some aftermarket early starters without the bull nose.

The early flywheel will have a ring gear with bevels that face the front of
the car. It will also be a compression fit ring gear.  The later flywheel
will have a ring gear with teeth bevels facing the rear of the car and it
will be a bolt on ring gear.

Just passing on what I learned on this list, pretty sure I got it right.

Bob