Re: Oil coolers & spin on adapters

To: "Biedermann, Frank \(SSABSA\)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil coolers & spin on adapters
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:03:27 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> While there is thread on oil coolers and people
> have their thinking hats on, can anyone tell me
> the internal differences between a "stand-alone"
> spin on adapter, and the type designed to be
> used with an oil cooler? I presume there must be
> some difference apart from the external fittings
> as some oil needs to be diverted to the oil
> cooler when the oil is hot, but not all as when
> the oil thermostat is closed oil has to bypass the
> cooler... Or is it the case that the oil thermostat
> does all that - is it connected to both the in and
> out hoses on the cooler and functions as a bypass
> when the oil is cold, or just one hose and blocks
> all oil flow? Does that make sense?

Hi Frank,

I can tell you what is on my TR4A - the oil thermostat handles the bypass when
it's closed.  Most other installations I've seen do not include a thermostat -
thereby would always pass the oil through the cooler no matter the tempurature.
 Hope that helps!

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned