Re: TR6 Clutch Master Cylinder

Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Master Cylinder
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:39:04 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bud :

The internal spring should be strong enough to return the piston.  It's
known to break on the earlier cars, I guess TR6's are getting old enough
to start suffering the same problem.  Mine came out in 4 separate pieces
last year.  In addition to returning the piston, the spring is also what
closes the valve back to the reservoir, so it's essential that it be in
good condition.  Moss has the spring by itself, it's only a few dollars.
(Undoubtedly, so do the other usual suspects.)  If you are confident of
the seals' condition, you can replace just the spring.  OTOH, a set of
new seals is cheap insurance against finding brake fluid all over your
firewall.  Personally, if I already had the MC out of the car, I'd
replace the seals "just because", even if I wasn't having trouble.

Randall