Re: TR2- starting after 30 yrs.

Subject: Re: TR2- starting after 30 yrs.
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:05:16 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Angelo :

I'd go with the 20W50 detergent oil, with maybe some frequent changes
for the first few thousand miles.  Even in 1970, "regular" oil was
detergent, so I wouldn't expect any problems there.

Diesel fuel and "flushing" were popular when I was learning to wrench,
but I can't honestly say I've ever seen them do any real good.  "Rebuild
in a can" was also popular then.  A common misconception is that
detergent oil will 'clean up' an engine full of deposits (thereby
clogging the oil filter, passages, etc.), but the truth is that the
detergent only helps keep the deposits from forming in the first place.

Note that the TR2 has a bypass type oil filter (the bearings are fed
with unfiltered oil from the pan).  IMO this means it is important to
stick to the factory recommended service intervals, even with modern
oils and filters.

Randall