A type versus J type overdrive

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: A type versus J type overdrive
From: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:31:52 -0700
Is the J type overdrive a direct bolt-in substitute for the A type in a
TR6?? I currently have an A type in my 71, and have a J type in the corner
of my garage "just in case" the A type breaks. If the J type isn't a bolt
in, perhaps I should stop storing it.  Out of curiousity, how much does a J
type overdrive sell for?

I think I saw a comment on the list that the A type overdrive operated in
2,3, and 4th gear. Mine only has switches allowing it to operate in 3 and
4th. (I know this because I built the trans and overdrive, using my original
box and either a Vitesse or Triumph 2000 overdrive). So, is there any
downside to installing another switch so OD works in 2nd? I am planning on
autocrossing the car, and wonder if using the OD in second is expecting too
much. Thanks.
Stephen