Re: Inspected by #Duh

To: RangerCRS <RangerCRS@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Inspected by #Duh
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:16:49 -0400 ()
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, RangerCRS wrote:

> I just returned from the emissions inspection station after passing
> (of course) the annual PITA routine. Here's the great part:
> Florida registrations only have a space for the first four letters of
> the make, hence the TR6 is a "triu".  As the guy is handing me the
> paperwork back, he points to it and says, "how do you pronounce that?"
> I think he's kidding, so I say " Tree-You, it's French".  He just
> says, "OK, have a nice day".
> I was nearly home before I quit laughing.

Cute!

But how does Florida distinguish between the MERCedes and the MERCury with
only four letters? (I will assume one of the other would get a different
abbreviation?) At least New York uses five letters, so almost every car in
my collection is a TRIUM. And there are the cars behind the barn, but
VOLVO doesn't need truncation. ;-)

--Andy