Re: Who is still using the Lucas PI fuel pump

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <Charazac.Jean-Pierre@hydro.qc.ca>
Subject: Re: Who is still using the Lucas PI fuel pump
From: "Cindy and Terry@ESP" <esp@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:31:23 +1000charset="iso-8859-1"
I finally gave up with the Lucas pump on my TR5 after 20 years or so of
annoying problems.

If I could find a brand new one ( not rebuilt, because I've never seen
anyone successfully rebush the gears), I'd fit it, but only in conjunction
with a low pressure/high volume lift pump . Some minor re-plumbing to use 2
outlets from the tank makes a major improvement to surge on cornering.

The "cooling coil" is of very little use. The problem is it heats up the
petrol to the point where the whole tank is so hot, it becomes troublesome.
This is because the pump has much greater capacity than is normally used,
and passing fuel thru the relief valve causes it to heat. Passing it around
the pump motor only makes it worse

Our race car with Lucas PI uses a Bosch motorsport fuel pump, 2 regulators
in parallel, and a fuel cooler. We can race in +40C temperatures.

Terry O'Beirne