Re: head gasket prep

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: head gasket prep
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:33:17 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <kehrlich@bellatlantic.net>
Hi Keith
This is real sound advice from Joe but I would like to add that you should
give it another retorque at around 500-1000 Miles as you will get a good
move then as well, then your gasket is set for life. This is all the more
important on the flat top block models of our engines as the fire rings
(around the top of the cylinders) are considerably weaker than the recessed
block engines. I retorque these gaskets on a regular basis, about once a
year, this may be excessive but I don't think it does any harm as this my
third gasket has already lasted significantly longer than the last one, the
previous one was probably the original but gave up when I started using the
car for towing.

Graham.
2500PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite
2000 MKI
Toledo
1300 Front Wheel Drive
http://members.tripod.co.uk/TriumphIW/index.html

> Keith,
> Yes,
> Let it dry, install the head gasket and torque the head to the factory
specs.  Then adjust the valves cold and start the engine
> allowing it to fully reach operating temperature.
>
> Then immediately, while it is still hot rip all the rocker pieces off and
re-torque the head before it is allowed to cool off.  You
> will be amazed at how out of torque they are after the car warms up.  That
procedure will save you any possibility of future head