Re: Gas Gauge Oddities

To: walker05@islandnet.com
Subject: Re: Gas Gauge Oddities
From: Bob Sykes <stan.part@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 11:57:11 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Playing with series/parallel resistor networks sounds like lots
of fun, and very educational, but ISTM the first step should be
troubleshooting the guage circuit with the sending unit shorted.

Malcolm Wrote:

[...]
> Any suggestions?  When I pull the sender out of the circuit and short
> the leads (~0 resistance), it reads just under 3/4 tank.  So either
> something's too resistive or something's not getting enough power.
> Where do I start?

It sounds like you are on the right track.  Either the voltage
supplied to the guage is too low, or there's too much resistance
in the wiring.

I'd start by measuring the voltage supplied to the guage (from the
infamous Voltage Stabilizer).  It should be around 10V average.
You could temporarily bypass the voltage stabilizer and feed the
guages 12V.  This would cause both fuel and temp guages to read higher.
You could measure the resistance of the wire that runs from guage
to tank.  It shouldn't be more than an ohm or two.

Hope this helps.

--
LBC'ing U,
Bob (& Spitfires)