Re: tr3b brakes - broken bleed nipple

To: Richard White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: tr3b brakes - broken bleed nipple
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@borg.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 19:13:01 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Richard,

That is a problem with a steel bleed screw and aluminum body. You will have to
get an "easy out" and some heat on that cylinder. Since there is a rubber seal
in the cylinder, remove it. Just remove the shoes and the rubber cover from the
cylinder and the piston should pop out. Dont use the break pedal or the cylinder
will "FLY" out. just pull it out with some pliers. Heat the cylinder slowly with
a propane torch and carefully try to ease the broken screw out. You may have to
use some brake fluid on the threads. Dont use any oil based stuff like wd-40 or
any other anti seize stuff. may pollute your brake fluid! Dont apply too much
torque on the easy out and use the largest easy out you can. If you have to
drill out the screw, it may be better to remove the cylinder from your brake
line. You wouldn't want to get any metal fillings in the brake system. If all
else fails buy a new cylinder.

Once you get a new bleed screw in, use some of that red girling grease on the
threads or brake fluid to insure you never run into this problem again.

Good luck,

Bob Labuz
1958 TR3A
1974 T140V