RE: Dual master cylinder (reply)

To: "'Randall'" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Dual master cylinder (reply)
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:08:24 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Barry :

The pedal certainly goes down a lot farther, but I still insist : if your
pedal is going all the way to the floor (hits the stop) when you open
(bleed) only one side of the system, there is something wrong.

I've had calipers fail (suddenly !) on two different cars, and in both cases
I was still able to lock the rear tires with the hydraulic brakes.  (FWIW,
rear tires don't do much braking on FWD cars ! <g>)  Even my motorhome
(which can't lock the rear brakes on a good day) still has roughly 2" of
travel (out of 10" or so) between the pedal and floor when stopping with
only rear brakes.

Dual circuit brakes certainly add to the cost of the vehicle (as does ABS).
Why would any manufacturer put them on if they didn't work ?

Randall