TR3A engine rebuild

To: cpike@cpass.net
Subject: TR3A engine rebuild
From: RTriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:41:18 -0500February 2000) at 04/26/2000 09:37:23 AM
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Hi Listers,
>My TR3A engine has been dismantled for about 6 months now,
>with the liners still in place, and my mechanic friend who
>is overseeing the rebuild feels that the pistons and liners
>are in good condition. However,we think that we may replace
>everything in any case, just to be sure. Is there any reason
>to question the integrity of the seals at the bottom of the
>liners, given that the head was removed some 6 months ago,
>if we decide not to replace the liners themselves?
>Thanks in advance for any advice that might be forthcoming.
>Cliff Pike (temporarily out of lurk mode..)

The group has given you some good advice on replacing the figure 8s...Be
very careful when removing the liners, they are easy to crack.  I used a
4x4 block of wood and a hammer to tap them out, but there may be a better
way.When you get them out, inspect carefully for pin holes in the liners
that can occur due to rusting.In addition to replacing them, I would
recommend having the block professionally cleaned and inspected for cracks
(magnafluxed).  Besides good insurance, your engine will run cooler and the
cost shouldn't be much.  Be advised, however, that the cam bearings and
freeze plugs will need to be replaced if the engine is vatted, as the
chemicals eat them up.  If you had any oil pressure problems in the past,
you probably want to replace the bearings anyway.  These are often
overlooked when doing a rebuild.Good luck!