Fuel Pump question?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Pump question?
From: VK0216@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:36:08 EDT

--part1_dd.38d00fa.2637b018_boundary

HI:
<< Need some help.  I had a leak in my fuel pump.  I bought a new fuel pump
 before attempting to take off the old one.  The new one fits okay but I
 cannot reconnect the fuel line to the carburetors because the distributer
 neck is in the way of the connection.  However, I found that there was
 actually nothing wrong with my old fuel pump.  The slug that holds the
 interior parts in place had slipped out and oil was coming out of that.
 I decided to replace my old pump which I was able to repair.  Now my
problem.
  When I went to reconnect the pipe from the carbs to the fuel pump I
 discovered there was actually two of the small brass sleeves fitted on the
 pipe going into the fuel pump.  Everything I see, including the Bentley
 Manual only shows one sleeve and since I could not get the nut to screw on
 the fuel pump, for some unknown reason I decided to remove the second
sleeve.
  I did this and attempted to start my TR6.  I saw a gusher of gas coming out
 of that connection.  My question is, should there be one or two sleeves at
 this connection and how should they face.  Any help would be
 appreciated....thanks Virgil 75 tr6

--part1_dd.38d00fa.2637b018_boundary