Mixture and synch. on '74 TR6 carbs.

To: "'Triumph Digest List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mixture and synch. on '74 TR6 carbs.
From: John Jacobsen-Watts <johnw@wrq.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 06:40:01 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers:

A lumpy idle encouraged me to re-synch my carbs. Found out that, as I
tighten linkage springs after synch., carb changes airflow! Got around that
fine and the car does idle nicely (i.e. no leaks on shafts, etc.!). Question
is, PO had stripped the hex head that permits adjustment of needle (one
carb. only, not the threads but the section the allen tool goes into), and
so cannot adjust mixture. Is pulling the "spider" washer, adjustment screw,
etc. a straighforward operation? Currently the needles sit EXACTLY flush
with the bottom of the air valve (i.e. slide), and a push up on this item
(during synch, w/ air filters off) gives me a BIG drop in idle (clearly
running lean), so adjusting the needles is necessary.

Is there a way to get around the stipped hex head? Should I pull the air
valve, undo the hex set screw on the side, and just wing it by turning the
needle assembly down a turn?

Shooting from the hip,
John
johnw@wrq.com