TR6--Torque question & a miracle

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6--Torque question & a miracle
From: Canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 00 23:25:10 -0000
What's the correct torque for the four bolts connecting the propeller
shaft to the output flange on the rear of an OD transmission--a J-type OD
transmission like the one now sitting in my 76 TR6!!!  I think Bentley
says 90 to 100 lbs, which seems excessive for what appears to be a 3/8 in
bolt.  But I may have imagined it after the 14-hour day I just put in.

Got that sucker in by myself with no visible damage to car or person.
Got the bellhousing partially bolted back together and and was still
congratulating myself when I dropped a bolt above the still-open starter
cavity.  It bounced off the starter and went in like it had eyes and
caught between the flywheel & rear engine plate--couldn't get a retractor
on it and don't have a magnet.  My wife--whose hands are small--was just
able to touch it before it fell to the bottom of the bellhousing.  Here's
where I started believing in miracles:  Using a piece of coat hanger with
a loop on the end, we tried to fish out the bolt for 20 minutes before I
gave up and started to unbolt the bellhousing and uttering a lot of
un-Easter-like language.  Then I heard my wife say "I think I've got it."
 Sure enough, she had fished it out without the remotest idea where it
was inside the bellhousing.  The rest of it went together without event
and she has earned a steak dinner.

Thanks.

Ian