Re: batteries

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: batteries
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 18:35:01 -0400
Cc: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Graham Stretch"

Hi All
I have been told that in colder climes a concrete floor in a garage is a
bad
place for a battery, as the cold will strike up through the floor and
freeze
the battery, a piece of wood should prevent this, I don't know how air temp
affects this theory!

Graham.
<

Just keep it out of the wind as the wind chill over cool it.

Just kidding, of course.  Actually a charged battery will not freeze at any
temperature you are likely to see there in the Isle of Wight.  Or even in
Scotland. Setting a batttery on a concrete floor will keep it cooler during
the warm part of the day and warm a night (a more constant temperature) but
the temperature will be pretty close to ambient so setting it on blocks
won't help much.

And forget about wind chill.  Once an object cools to ambient the chill
effect drops to zero.  It is after all a wind CHILL factor or a measure of
how the wind effects how fast a warm object will cool off.

Dave