TR4 Alternator Conversion,, now the car wont start!

To: "INTERNET:Z27407@aol.com" <Z27407@aol.com>
Subject: TR4 Alternator Conversion,, now the car wont start!
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:45:46 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by INTERNET:Z27407@aol.com
>Hello List..

We just did a Alternator conversion on a TR4 today.  After hooking
everything
up according to the Dan Masters notes at VTR.. Now the car wont even turn
over unless the solenoid button is pressed in.

Since the car is now negative ground,,  am I forgetting something?
Remember, when the switch is turned, the car does nothing.  Previously,
before the upgraded alternator, turn the switch and it would start right
up??

The battery terminals have been changed and there is a 12v current at the
solenoid for the trigger..white/red wire..

It all happened late in the day and we have not completly trouble shooted
the
situation.  I thought that I might get some inside information before
embarking on the task tomorrow..

What do you think??

Paul Cordts
<

Coincidence.  Either your solenoid decided to give up the ghost or the
ground connections is suspect.  The fact that it cranks when you push the
button says that the only thing wrong is the button isn't going in as a
result of turning the key.

If you have an assistant have one check the voltage at the red/white
terminal while the other turns the key.  Do this with the wire attached to
the solenoid.  If there is no voltage there is a dirty connection in the
red/white wire somewhere.

If you do have voltage at the terminal and no start, check the housing of
the solenoid, it just might be at 12 volts.  If so redo the mounting bolts.
 If there is no voltage on the housing undo the mounting bolts and put in a
new solenoid.

Dave