TR6 Brakes, static engine timing

To: "G Spencer" <graham_spens@hotmail.com>
Subject: TR6 Brakes, static engine timing
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:22:26 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "G Spencer"
>Well I checked the booster, it's toast.  I tried pumping the pedal at
engine
idle to see if the rpms increased, nada (thanks John).  I pulled the hose
the booster off and took a spin, no difference from when it was on.  Man I
never realized how important the booster was.  So I guess I will replace
the
booster and redo the flex hoses and that should do it.
     A have another (perhaps dumb) question.  On the 73, I an getting ready

to refit the engine.  I have the transmission off.  I am assuming the #1
piston is the piston CLOSEST to the flywheel.  I THINK that to set the
static timing of the dizzy I should set the index mark at 12 deg. BTC on
the
compression stroke of #1. Then that the dizzy rotor should be pointed at #1

wire.  Am I way off here?  Which piston is #1, how should I set the static
timing?  Bently isn't very clear.

Thanks again,
Graham Spencer
<

The TDC mark on the crank is equally valid for either #1 or #6 cylinder
(the front or back cylinder).  The only difference is the action of the
valves.  At TDC one cylinder will be intransition from exhaust stroke to
intake stroke and the valves will be rocking whereas the other cylinder
will be at TDC of its compression stroke and the valves will be firmly
shut.

Set the crank to TDC (or 12 degrees before) and see which valves are closed
and set the distributor to point to the wire going to that cylinder.

Dave