RE: how DO you use a feeler gauge?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: how DO you use a feeler gauge?
From: Christopher Ball <cball@oct.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:57:56 -0400

> Andrew Mace wrote:
> >
> > clearance is .010", use also the .009"  and .011" feeler blades to check
> > your work. The .009" blade should slide in with virtually no resistance,
> > but the .011" blade should not slide in without reasonable force
> > (remember, we are talking THOUSANDTHS of an inch here).

        You know, with all due respect for this technical content, keep in
mind that poor misguided lads like me have gone miles and miles on  brit
bikes and cars which were tuned with a hose to the ear for the carb sync and
match book covers and cigarette papers for feeler gauges. So, all I mean to
say is, be sure to gauge your accuracy concerns to the sophistication of the
beasts at hand. Having said that there is a real pleasure in using good
tools and using them correctly. (but my grandfather would himself reading
this thread,I'm sure)