Someone to look at a car for me

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Someone to look at a car for me
From: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:12:14 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello fellow listers,

I'm currently in a long distance communication with someone from West
Hempstead, NY to buy a '69 Spitfire project car.  The seller doesn't have a
digital camera or scanned pictures of it.

I'm pretty confident that the description he gave of the car is true but I
don't like to buy something that I can't see first.  Especially that if I
buy it, I will have to drive 2000 miles round trip to get the car (I'm
located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)  and I would hate to get there and find
out that this is not the car for me.

Is there anyone with a digital camera on the list that lives close by that
would be willing to drop by this guys place and take a few shots of the car
and send them to me?  I'll even pay for your gas if you want (as long as you
don't drive across the country :-p  )

Please reply to me off-list

Here's the description he gave me so far:
<SNIP>
It has rust in the usual places, i.e., quarter panels, floor, etc.
However, I have  replacement floor panels for the forward half that need
to be welded in place after you cut out the rusted portion of the
floors. The driver side door is dented but I have a replacement door.
The paint is probable original, so you can imagine what it looks like.

I also have some engine parts including the dual carb and manifold (I'm
sure it needs to be rebuilt). There is a single carb on the engine now.
The car has not been started in at least five years, so I'm sure that
the engine needs lots fo work. I have a hard top shell, i.e., metal
only, no liner. The glass is good although it looks like it was glued
into place. Speaking of glass, the windshield is good also. There is no
interior, other than the seats, which need to be redone; no rugs, no
door panels. The hood has had some body work as can be seen by the
filler that is now visible on the left fender.

One last thing, I was told by a mechanic that the differential needs
rebuilding. He said its an easy job but he's been a mechanic for
Mercedes for the last ten years.
<SNIP>

He doesn't know about the frame or the rockers
Asking price 500$
What do you think?

TIA
Steph
Ottawa, Canada
'71 TR6 (Mostly on the shelves!)
MKIII Spit (May have found it!?!) Next Project (For WTB - Wife To Be)