TR6 Cam timing and TDC

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Cam timing and TDC
From: Keith Ehrlich <kehrlich@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:49:31 -0400
Triumphisti-

Why do I need to use a cam wheel and dial indicator to bracket my way
into TDC?  Can't I temporarily put on the timing cover and pulley and
line up the TDC (0) timing mark on the pulley with the tang on the
timing cover to get the crank aligned to TDC? If I need to use the cam
wheel, perhaps an educated person would be kind enough to give me an
off-list detailed course in how to use it.

Another related question: I found a comment in the archives that said to
fit the cam gear using standard, 180 degree or reverse mounting to get
as close an alignment of the teeth as possible and, if not a perfect
alignment, choose the configuration that forced a slight advance timing.
OK, which direction, when facing the cam gear, does the cam gear turn to
cause an advance-ie, turn it clockwise or counterclockwise?

Finally, I've lost track of the brain cells that tell me which way the
running engine turns-again facing the front of the engine, does the
crank turn clockwise or counterclockwise? I trust when setting the
cam/crank/chain in place, I want the chain on the pull side fully
tightened to properly align everything.

TIA

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6