Further ?'s on TR3 diff guts removal

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Further ?'s on TR3 diff guts removal
From: "Andy Dixon" <amdixon@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 23:28:53 -0400charset="Windows-1252"
On the off chance you all missed this this weekend, I plan on working on
this tomorrow and any help will be greatly appreciated. I know you'll reply
if you can and I won't hate you if you can't. I'd threaten to leave the list
if I don't get an answer but it would be no great loss and I'd be lying
anyway.
Seriously though, if you did miss it....

Finally got the guts out of the diff. case I'm going to use. Had to fashion
a spreader with 1/2" threaded rod and angle iron. Many thanks to all of you
who answered and I tried every method before finally going to the spreader.

Now, I plan on putting the guts from the housing currently on the car into
the one I just emptied (Chipped pinion tooth on the one I just emptied,
otherwise I'd be done).
Will the bearings from the one currently in the car be OK (I think I know
the answer (I'm not sure I want to hear it), or should I change them all? If
I want to keep them about how much play should there be between the inner
race and the cage?
If I change the bearings, does anyone have a trick for measuring the pinion
head bearing spacers? I don't have a dummy pinion gear or "bar-stop thingy"
that goes from side to side.
Thanks,
Andy

'59 TR3A