re: 3 Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: 3 Questions
From: Kevin & Shelley Elliott <Kevin.Elliott@planet-interkom.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:08:06 +0200
Bob

The others have answered your other questions well, but the wheel
bearing answers posted are rather contradictory.

Tapered rollers MUST be pre-loaded, otherwise the weight of the car on
the bearing will cause the wheel wobble. It does cause noticeable drag
when you spin the wheel, though. I had the same problem on my landrover,
but there the answer was to use a spring balance on the spanner to get
the right pre-load, wind up a lock nut, then hammer up a tab washer...
(crude, but it works). No wonder BMW sold LandRover to Ford!

Go with Mike Ferguson's answer.

Kevin (ex lurker & ex TR3A owner)