Carburetor Question

To: "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carburetor Question
From: "David Lee" <davelee1@home.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 23:16:55 -0700
Hello all.
The past week has been a busy one for the TR4.  I installed a sound system
and had to rebuild my ammeter.  Both have some pictures and worked out very
well.  Ill put those on my page later.

For the past two weeks Ive been driving the TR4 (Strombergs) with the chokes
pulled out a little.  I thought I was running lean and put off adjusting the
carbs till tonight.  During adjusting I discovered the carbs are set about
right during idle.  But they seem lean at any other time.  Basically it
idles smooth but when you blip the throttle or start accelerating the car
sputters.  Ive been pushing the chokes in all the way at stops so the engine
doesnt stall and pulling them out as soon as I start to move.  Also the car
tends to ping when wide open unless I pull the chokes.  I havent checked the
throttle shafts for leakage yet.  I have plenty of damper fluid as well.  Im
fairly certain its isolated to the carbs.  I dont want to adjust any richer
because the adjusting screws seem like theyre already too far out.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?  Similar experience?
Im hoping its the throttle shaft leaking but would that cause these
symptoms?

Thanks
David Lee
64 TR4