Re: Towing Questions - LBC Related!

To: Chip19474@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Towing Questions - LBC Related!
From: Tom Beaver <beaver@spillmanco.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 18:37:42 -0500
At 01:15 PM 04/04/2000 EDT, you wrote:

>List,
>
>I'd like to tow the Spit to the Richmond show this July...certainly not
>because it's a trailer queen...ha, ha....more so it's in one piece when I
get
>there to use for the four days!
>
>Since I've never towed anything heavier/larger than a log splitter from my
>truck (using a ball mounted to the bumper), I have some questions and
>concerns.  The tow vehicle is a 1994 Chevy S-10 PU with 4.3L V6 and 5
speed.
>My reference literature and the dealer say that I can tow 3500 pounds.
Given
>that the Spit probably weighs in at about 1700 pounds, is it reasonable to
>expect the trailer to weigh less than 1800 pounds?

Yes

  What's the difference
>between the various classes of hitches...Class 3, 4, etc and which would I
>need?

Not exactly sure, but I believe the higher the number, the more you should
be able to pull, safely. I have class 3 hitches on my pullers and pull a 2
axle 20 ft trailer.

 Do these trailers use brakes of some sort?

Most trailers above two axles have brakes. They can be electric or mechanical.

 How do the brakes connect
>to my truck's system?

Mechanical is all in the trailer and there is no hookup with your truck.
Electrical brakes are wired into your trucks braking system.

Has anyone towed a Spit or equivalent weight LBC with
>a compact truck like my Chevy....any tips, suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, I'vepulled all kinds ofLBC's with both a Cherokee Sport(straight 6 4
liter) and my Durango V-8. No problems with the 6 cylinder except getting
into the hills, which we don't have here. You won't have any problems
pulling a Spit with your V-6.

Tom Beaver
Indy