Re: Painting suspension parts

To: econrad <econrad@teal.csn.net>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Painting suspension parts
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 21:12:10 -0500
I just did mine. While I was planning to powder coat them, it was a bit more
expensive than I thought so I used POR-15. It seems to be very durable,
although I just got it back together (mostly) yesterday so I can't say how
well it'll hold up over time. I did drop one of the control arms on the
garage floor and didn't even scratch the surface. Very nice looking finish
too.

Pain in the neck to apply though...clean parts, soak in Metal Ready for
15-20 minutes, rinse off excess Metal Ready, dry parts, paint parts (with
allowance for drying time so you can second-coat when it's almost, but not
quite dry). Don't start this when you get home from work - consider the time
it will take to paint, 3-5 hrs drying time, depending on temp and humidity,
plus the time needed to second coat. Could be a late night.

A couple of hints...Don't let the Restomotive folks convince you that one
finish coat of black will adequately cover a first coat of their
silver...ask me how I know this. Also, paint outside AND wear a respirator
even if you're not spraying. I painted some in my basement workshop about 2
months ago and I STILL smell it! No, I'm not exaggerating!

By way of comparison, last summer I had the tie rods out of the car and
painted them with primer, then two coats of Rustoleum. It's chipping nicely
now. I expect the POR will last MUCH longer and I don't regret the extra
effort required.

Good luck.

Michael Ferguson