Re: TR4 Front Calipers

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Front Calipers
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:35:25 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: keithmcgahan@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
According to ArthurK101@aol.com:

> In a message dated 03-Apr-00 14:19:20 Eastern Daylight Time,
> keithmcgahan@hotmail.com writes:
>
> >  point where I must ask a question. The PO seperated the front brake
> calipers
> >
> >  and now I don't know if I should put them back together or buy new ones.
> >  According to Moss the Front brake calipers are not suppose to seperated
> >  becuase the correct torque setting are not know. Does anyone have any
> >  suggestions
> >

> Keith, we had a thread on this about 2 years ago.  If I remember correctly
> [don't ask my wife about that :-) ] -- I think TRF technical department had
> the torque specs for  the calipers.  I do recall that although the
> recommendation was to not open them, they could be put back together
> correctly without much of a problem.  Cheers.

Not having a TR4, maybe I'm way off base, but aren't they Girling's?
I would expect that whatever brand they are they must have been used
on enough different cars that finding out something like torque specs
would not be impossible.  I can remember pulling calipers apart on
cars I owned in the past (MG, Porsche) and not having any problems with
rebuilding and re-assembly.

But then, I've been wrong before!!

bill

--