Re: TR250 lenses

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: TR250 lenses
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:41:44 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
>Nice response.  Another reason your contributions are so valuable to the
>lists.  They dispell any rumor or innuendo immediately.  Bully for you --
>and for us.

One tries to help , dear Sir - but sometimes one gets one's t*ts in the mangle
when the
powers of memory recall become something to what they were.

>I've long wondered exactly what the policy was with the rear turn signal
>lenses on Mk3 Spitfires.  I believe that the lenses fitted to my original
>'67 (a U.S. market car) were red, whereas my current '67 (RHD) has amber
>lenses.  Were amber lenses used throughout the production run for the Mk3 in
>the U.K. and red only for all model years of U.S. exports ('67-'70)?

Yes - and for all other markets too outside North America. In fact, I don't
ever remember
North America ever having anything other than white front, red rear on any
model as
factory fit - and long before Spitfire ever went into production. That also
went for
Jaguar, Rootes Group, BMC - the lot and applied long long before 1967. For the
record and
on another subject, all North american cars had laminated glass when it was an
optional
extra for all other markets except France and Italy. Standard production fit
for the UK
unless otherweise specified was toughened glass.

John