header collector tube diameter ? - 6 cyl

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: header collector tube diameter ? - 6 cyl
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:04:44 -0500

Greetings all:

I am updating the exhaust system on my 2.5L Spit bodied GT-6.  I have 6 into 1
headers.  I am trying to decide on the diameter of the exhaust pipe immediately
after the header.  Currently I have a 2 in. dia. tube that expands to about 2.5
in. dia. at the header.    Should I consider upgrading to 2.25 dia?
Replacing the collector pipe is part of upgrading the exhaust by replacing the
Monza "resonator" that fits between the frame rails with a 2 in. dia inlet x 30
in. long glass pack (purpose is to quiet the exhaust level a bit and reduce
backpressure, Monza resonator is a 14 in. long glass pack with less that a 1.4
in. internal dia. - a major flow restriction).  FWIW, engine is mildly ported,
S2 cam grind triple 40DCOEs and electronic ignition.

Question for those of you who have 6 cyl engines with a single exhaust - what
diameter exhaust pipe do you have after the exhaust manifold or headers?  Anyone
out there felt that they went too large in exhaust pipe diameter and if so what
would the symptom of such be?