RE: Losing wire wheel

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Losing wire wheel
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:30:49 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
> From: Joe Flake
>
> You have to cut down the studs to fit the wire adapters.  I thought
> the remaining stud was too short to use regular wheels.  Can you
> safely use original wheels on the shortened studs?

NO !

But, IMO, it's good enough to limp home, with no hard cornering or high
speed travel.  Sure beats walking.

Another way to get home is to just put the original parts back on, with the
knockoff super-extra-tight.  It _is_ possible to get the knockoff tight
enough that just the friction will keep the wheel from turning on the
splines, although now you will need to replace the knockoff as well as the
adapter and wheel.

Note : My TR3A was in this state when I bought it.  I drove it for several
weeks before learning of the problem when I replaced the tires.  The
knockoffs were unholy tight, and got pretty damaged in the removal process.
The hardwood 2x4 that I used instead of a brass hammer just splintered.
Took a BFH and some very determined full arm swings to get them off.  Since
I didn't notice the condition of the splines, I put it all back together,
normal tightness, and backed out of the driveway.  ZZZZZ !

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver