Re: Tr6 wanted to buy

To: Jason Brinckman <JasonB@EvansComponents.com>
Subject: Re: Tr6 wanted to buy
From: Pat Fischer <pfischer@unicom.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:52:21 -0600
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi, Jason.  You haven't said how you want to use the Tr6 you're buying. (We all
think that's a great idea, by the way!)  And I thought I'd give you some pros
and cons of the hard top.

Pro:
It extends the seasons when you can comfortably drive the car - the car stay
warmer, quieter for travel and doesn't leak water.  If you drive the 6 as I did
in all sorts of weather (it was my "family" car) then the hard top is a nice
addition, and, obviously, adds to the value of the car should you decide to sell
it later.

Con:
It's heavy to remove, and you'll need someone to help you do it.  It's large and
pretty awkward to store, a concern if you're living in an apartment, for
example. And lastly, even with rubber pads glued under the back corners of the
hard top where it sat on the rear deck, movement and flexing of the hard top
wore through the deck paint down to the primer.

It DID look great on the car.  I lived in Memphis, and the hard top made the TR6
usable all year around.  (They hadn't discovered salt yet. Their emergency snow
crew was two men in the back of a truck with shovels and cinders)  So, it was a
nice addition for those conditions.  The way I drive my Triumph now, well, I
don't think I'd let it be the deciding factor.

Best of luck to you!
Pat Fischer

IMHO