Re: Tr 4-Speedometer Cable & O/D Lube

To: "bruce britt" <bebritt@gate.net>
Subject: Re: Tr 4-Speedometer Cable & O/D Lube
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@lineone.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:17:55 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Bruce
Don't know about your cable. As to the gearbox oil the original spec for the
o/d was hypoid w75 to refill and hypoid w90 to top up. Yes the modern grades
GL4, GL5 do contain something that attacks the brass/bronze bits. though
what sort of time period we are talking about I don't know (sure someone
will). I usually refill my boxes with hypoid 80 w85 or 85w90 (cant recall
which of the two ratings is right without going to the garage) I buy this by
the gallon (5 litres) at the moment as my A type loves to waste it (building
a box with J type soon). These boxes require the extreme pressure protection
provided by the hypoid oil so I don't think engine oil would be a good idea,
there is probably some underlying cause for the slow engagement. My A type
doesn't like the fact that a gearbox "expert" built the box up using
excessive quantities of blue hylomar, I have already removed one
filter/strainer full of the stuff and the overdrive worked well but I think
it must be full again as it now takes about a mile to come in.
Sorry to digress,

Graham.