Re: TR3A Side Curtains

To: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Subject: Re: TR3A Side Curtains
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 08:34:33 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You can get side curtain material that matches Robbins tops from TRF by the
yard. It's a nice heavy fabric. You'll probably spend at least $100 for the
fabric, and then more for the plastic windows, seals and trim. Use the remains
of the existing cover to make a pattern.

I used a flea market purchased sewing machine to make my first set, but coughed
up a couple of hundred dollars for an old industrial sewing machine for the
second set I made. If you don't mind spending the time, you can do the stitching
using a sewing awl, available at most sewing/crafts stores or from Eastwood.

You'll also need to clean and paint the frames, and weld them if they're cracked
or rusted out, something that seems to be common.

There are a few advantages to this approach:

1) You'll get it done quicker than TRF

2) You'll spend a couple hundred dollars less.

3) You'll save even more if you need to do it again.

The disadvantage is that your first time will seem to take forever, and if
you're like me, you may not be happy with how it looks at first. Don't get too
hung up on matching how they were originally done. I made the top frame cover
completely separate from the bottom part and stitched them together at the front
and back edge. It made it much easier. You can see my curtains on my web site at

http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm

Check under Mechanical and Trim.

--
George Richardson