RE: Triumphs/ Wife/Life/love

To: hoops@owt.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Triumphs/ Wife/Life/love
From: DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:23:52 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
I have to get my 2p in here. Complete restoration costs aside, long time
ownership of  TR's if approached with a level head need not be either a time
or money drain and certainly should not cause friction in the home. My
overall maintenance expenses on the 73 TR-6 have averaged about $1000.00 USD
over a period of 25+ years. That does not include repairs for the 2
accidents the car has been involved in over that period. Some years much
more than $1000.00 was spent...years when valves, clutches, tires, repaints
(you can not drive a car every day and not expect to paint at least every 5
to 7 yrs.) etc. etc were all required in a short period. Some years
virtually nothing was spent except for oil changes, lubes, bulb replacements
and other minutia. So, we'rew talking $25,000.00 plus accident repairs over
as many years to drive and maintain the vehicle that has looked and run
great consistently.  Now....if I had deigned to buy a new car, say every 5
years, what would I have paid over the same period. I'm not easy to please
when it comes to what I drive, I'm one of those American males who bases
part of his personal image on what he drives. The TR and the Jag XJ project
a partial representation of who I am. Given that, I figure I couldn't have
bought any thing I'd be proud to drive for less than say.........oh lets be
conservative and say $25,000.00. That adds up to $125,000 over the same 25+
years. Add increased insurance cost and increased licensing fees to that.

Those numbers make sense to me and to the beautiful and dangerous Helena.
The plates on the Jag which I bought for her read KRPTNIT because she is
enough to bring superman to his knees...I say that with all proper respect.
She has been best friend my lover and constant travel companion for only
slightly longer than we've owned the TR, bought with the proceeds of our
wedding. She and I and that car have travelled together the 311,000 miles on
the od, through good times and bad. You really have to see it to believe but
she and that car have not really changed much over the years. She as much as
I love driving and or riding in the TR...males, man and boy are still
irresistibley attracted to the sight of her driving the red roadster, She is
approached constantly when she drives it alone. And if you think that
doesn't help to maintain her self esteem over the long haul...think again!

As for the time I put into the car...and its plenty, that is not begrudged.
I work on the car...she paints (artist you know). We share...not by any
great plan... other domestic chores, I vacuum, wash floors, do dishes, cook
as needed without prompting...our home also reflects much of ourselves and
is comfy, bright, and inviting. I am responsible for the garden and I do
this with great pleasure...it and the cars are my mental health
therapy...and the dirt from the gardening is much easier to get out from
under the fingernails than grease. A cool drink in the garden with the
humming birds and surrounded by trees, shrubs and year round flowers planted
with my own hands, or a soak in the spa after a morning or afternoon of work
on the cars is my idea of heaven on earth. Add a bit of South American jazz
and the prospect of a top down ride through the wine country at sunset
and....what complaints?...what domestic discord?...NO PROBLEMO!