Trip to TR4 Parts Heaven

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trip to TR4 Parts Heaven
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:48:08 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Gang,

Just got back from a 3 hour trip to fantasyland for a TR4 guy.
Do you all remember the guy in Nashua, NH who was trying to sell
$12,000 dollars of TR4 parts on the VTR classifieds?  It was
advertised as $9100 of new parts and the parts from 3 parts cars.
Well it turns out that it to not quite that but it is not the
fault of the ad poster.

His name is George Arnold.... his father was in his early 60s...
retired and after a lifetime of owning and driving TRs he was
building a TR4 from scratch. He passed away suddenly this summer
and the son is just now getting around to sorting things out.

The bulk of the new parts are in brand new body panels from TRF
and lots of suspension/diff stuff. Stuff I don't need thank God.
There is a complete Dayton Chrome wire wheel conversion set-of
parts that will go for about $900 or less. There is a new wood
dash, new TR4A center support, new set of door waist seals and
top crash pad.

He was building a 4.11 differential with all new parts (now for
sale) to be used with an A-Type OD gearbox.  Don't even think
about it... the OD is in my basement as we speak along with a
pile of other new stuff and some really hard to find old stuff

Besides the OD I got a pair of BFN rear dampers and links, a set
of new rear springs and links, new fuel pump, new gas cap, 4 new
bumper overriders, 2 U-joint assemblies and RH door glass
channels.  On the used side I picked up 4 front bumper support
rods... the ones nobody can find.  So I have an extra set if
somebody needs them... also a complete plinth/bezel with
switches, a set of gauges/speedo/tach and an old lever fuel pump
and old NOS rebuild kit.  All for a very reasonable price.

The basement of this house is filled with EVERY imaginable used
part from the 3 TR4s.... all boxed or stacked neatly.  It would
take me 2 days to go through this stash box-by-box for the
goodies. I plan to go back and spend a whole day in March when
George has more free time from his current job schedule.  George
lives and works in Boston and his Dad's house is in NH.

The local NE list guys like Andy Mace, Michael Ferguson, Bob
Lang, Don Sforza and Henry Frye should get a shot at this before
it all goes to the dumpster when the house is sold in April.
Anybody looking for any manner of brand new or used body
sheetmetal should contact George.  His Dad accumulated these new
body parts over a period of years.

I have told George about the list and how to use the VTR
classifieds.  I have pledged to help him get these valuable parts
to TR4 restorers.  I convinced him to make up a detailed list and
distribute it to the list and the VTR.  He realizes now that he
will have to get into the UPS... piece-by-piece business....
unless of course Henry Frye backs up truck into his driveway.

Now if Brad Kahler lived in the northeast it would be all gone by
now.

I have 2 technical questions about the OD and the springs but I
will put them in separate notes.

Cheers

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA