Re: $21,500 TR..., er, BMW 2002

Subject: Re: $21,500 TR..., er, BMW 2002
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 14:04:19 -0700
Randall Young wrote:

> ...And the BMW 2002 had it's own share of problems, particularly electrical.
> On top of that, AFAIK neither BMW or Mazda offered a ragtop, at least in the
> US.
>
> BTW, there's a '71 2002 for $500 on autotrader.com for anyone who'd rather
> enjoy that legendary German quality ... <g>

Okay, I'll bite. You'll also find plenty of TR6's for $500. And you can find
2002's that sell for over $20K -- though they probably have an M3 engine
conversion -- hoo-waw! -- hidden under the hood. Which apparently the TR6 at
auction was missing.  ;-)

But 2002's are indeed either *less* valuable, or a *better* value, according to
the CPI guide:

Triumph TR6 1972 $3575 $6600 $11175
BMW 2002 1972 $1825  $3425  $6000

Still, I'm keeping my good condition 2002 as a daily driver when I pick up the
TR4. Unless any of you want to make an offer for a fun driver while your TR is
in storage for the winter. :-) The 2002 is a great classic *family* sports sedan
-- if, just for example, you have a baby or two and your wife thinks you should
sell the bugeye. But my old BMW clearly now deserves a convertible as company in
the garage.  :-)

I also agree that the M3 or the Z3 are not fair comparisons with a "new" TR6.
Though I was but a boy, I don't think the TR6 was marketed as a luxury sports
car when new; wouldn't an M3 compare with a "new" E-type? I think the Miata was
indeed the "everyman's" sports convertible of the last decade, and is a fair
comparison -- in terms of market niche -- with the TR6.

Finally, you're right, Randall, it's my understanding that no 2002 ragtop was
offered in the U.S., though a handful of the 1600-2 cabriolet's or Baur 2002
convertibles are in the U.S. now -- beautiful cars, but I doubt you could touch
one for under $20K. Supply and demand, you know. :-)

Steven
'72 BMW 2002
'62 TR4 (pending pick-up)

--