Re: TR-2,3,4A - Double clutching, heel and toe shifting.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-2,3,4A - Double clutching, heel and toe shifting.
From: Easton Family <eastonfamily@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:34:45 -0800
Greetings John and the Triumph List,

This is my first contribution or reply to a posting on this list.  I'm
somewhat new to this list, e-mail and computing but I am a longtime TR3
owner and driver (same 1959 TR3A since 1968).

>From my experience, you can easily double clutch and heel and toe downshift
in a TR without modifying the pedals.

Double clutching is simply engaging the clutch for a fraction of a second
with the transmission in neutral while shifting gears.  When downshifting,
you blip the throttle while in neutral to increase the speed of the lay
shaft so that the gears (actually the dog teeth in a synchromesh
transmission) being engaged will be turning at close to the same speed and
engage more easily.  In a car that doesn't have a synchromesh first gear,
you need to do this if you want to engage first gear while the car is
moving.

Heel and toe downshifting is blipping the throttle when double clutching and
braking at the same time.  To do this in a TR, move the heel of your right
foot to the right slightly while braking and blip the throttle with the side
of your right foot (not actually the heel).

I don't know if this is how race drivers do it but it has worked for me for
over thirty years.  All that throttle blipping really sounds sporty and
having the brake lights come on while the engine is revved for downshifting
shows driving finesse.

It's not really difficult to learn and get smooth, but matching the speeds
for downshifting and the timing of the extra clutch engagement takes a
little practice.  It makes driving more fun and, to me, it's the essence of
driving an old sports car!

Well, that's my two bits worth on the subject.  Thanks to everyone on this
list for all the useful information, fascinating trivia and Triumph lore.

Dave Easton
1959 TR3A
Seattle, WA