RE: TR6 - Clutch Noise

To: "'Gary & Priscilla Klein'" <gklein@toad.net>, TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 - Clutch Noise
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:33:50 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
This may require a bit more investigation; a couple things could be
suspected:
        A.      The TOB may have suffered some form of infant mortality. (
Runyan's revenge)

        B.      The front bearing in the tranny may be losing its grip on
life.  When you reinstalled the tranny after the clutch job, did you have
any difficulty getting the splines re-engaged?  there is sometimes a chance
for F. bearing damage if the clutch disk is not accurately aligned, and you
have to force the tranny into position ( force might be the wrong word,
perhaps "vigorously encourage"...)  Was there a lot of oil in the
bellhousing, and/or how much radial play did the transmission's splined
input shaft show?
        C.   There is a small needle roller bearing that is located between
the  trans. input shaft and the  mainshaft, I think it is called the
constant speed bearing or something...   As you sit in neutral, with the
motor running and no foot on the clutch, this bearing is the interface
between the input shaft, which is spinning, and the mainshaft, which is not.
any deterioration of this bearing is most noticeable under those conditions.

        Point of refinement-  You mentioned that the noise seems to change
somewhat when slightly depressing the clutch pedal.  If you are just barely
touching the pedal, then it sounds like the TOB may be in trouble.  If you
are depressing the clutch far enough to be partially disengaging it, ( and
the input shaft is slowing down),  then the trans. front bearing and/or the
aforementioned needle roller bearing are more likely causes.  Trans. oil is
properly filled, right?    and Don't rip anything apart until you've heard
from some other folks here!  A noise to one man is a purr to another......
B. Westerdale