TR3 Engine idles again (was TR3 engine idles too high)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Engine idles again (was TR3 engine idles too high)
From: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 10:02:59 -0500

Last week, I asked for help to resolve an engine idling problem on my TR3.
It would idle at a minimum of 1800 rpm's, would idle down some when I
manually twisted the throttle shaft, but would return to high idle when
released.

I methodically checked everything you guys suggested and ended up removing
the carbs again. It appears as though there was a combination of lots of
little things that added up to a big problem. One throttle disk was
slightly off center (this was strange as I had not removed adjusted these
before), the accellerator return spring was missing, and one of the springs
on the throttle shaft was loose. Although the engine timing was correct at
idle, I also found it was not getting any advance --- mechanical or vacuum.

After lubricating the inner parts of the distributor, re-centering the
throttle disks, replacing the missing spring, and tightening the loose
spring, spraying a little WD40 into the throttle shaft bushings, re-setting
the mixture, and re-synchronizing the carbs, it idles, runs, and advances
fine now.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm getting anxious to get her on the road.

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
'60 TR3A
'58 TR3A