Re: TR3 Idles Too High

To: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Idles Too High
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 4 2000 13:22:15 GMT-0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
 While the
>throttle shaft bushings are suspect, if air was passing through them,
>wouldn't this cause the engine to idle too low? Before I rip into the carbs
>and check the throttle plates, any ideas?

Jeff,

I just finished rebuilding a pair of HS6s and will put them back on the car
tonight if I get the ambition after work.

The high idle is probably coming from air leaking somewhere.  Leaking air leans
the mixture and raises the idle... like opening the throttle.  I am assuming
you did not dismantle the carbs. The throttle shafts sound like the problem if
you can get the 800 RPM by fiddling with the shafts.  You can test for the
location of the leak by shooting carb cleaner on the shafts.... if the RPMs go
down you have found the leak.  You could also use some clean 20W 3-in-1 oil....
any thing that will momentarily close the gap and not harm the engine as it
gets burned.

If you had the shafts out...  the problem may be found with the "fit" of the
throttle blade on the shaft and in the carb throat.  You have to get put the
disc aligned correctly and the fit perfect before tightening the screws.

The leak could be at one of the gaskets from the carb ans spacer to the
manifold or from the manifold to the head.... and when you are "putting
pressure on the throttle shafts"... you are also pushing on the carb/manifold
assembly...  maybe closing a gap.

Either way squirting the liguid in all the possible leak spots should find it.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html