Rear wing removal & replacement on an 76 TR-6 boundary="------------C945

To: Bob Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>
Subject: Rear wing removal & replacement on an 76 TR-6 boundary="------------C945A9CDE98405C146506C4C"
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 09:35:52 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Bob Greene
>Hi All:
    Please bear with me! First time writer. Does anyone have any
suggestion for the removal and replacement of the rear wing (fender). I
have a small amount of bubbling of the paint at the seam where the rear
fender meets the rear bulkhead? (the panel that is in front of the trunk
lid.
    It appears to do this correctly. You must remove the rear fender,
clean/repair the rust at the seam and then place the fender back on.  Is
realignment going to present problems? I am reluctant to remove the
fender in fear that I will never get the lines correct. Am I getting in
over my head or worrying for no reason?
    Bob
<

Bob,

First, welcome to the list.

The wing is held on by some two dozen screws, the tail light assembly and
the rear bumper.  First remove the bumper and tail light assembly.  (Sure,
that's easy for you to say)  Then remove all the screws.  There are a bunch
that are accessed from in the boot (trunk) there are some that are accessed
from the wheelwell along the B post (just aft of the door) and don't forget
the one at the bottom just in front of the wheel arch.

Don't worry about getting it aligned.  It's aligned now isn't it?  Just
remember that these things bend and you can (and will probably need to)
push it into place and tighten bolts as you go.

By far the worst part will be getting the rusted fasteners loose on the
bumper.  Use lots of penetrating oil.

Good luck and congratulations on taking the initiative to do it right.
There are too many cars out there whose DPO's (Dreaded Previous Owners)
just bondo'ed over such problems.

Dave