Fuel gauge sending unit float and bonnet release cable problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel gauge sending unit float and bonnet release cable problems
From: Davgil@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 08:37:48 EST
Beautiful day in Georgia yesterday, temperatures in the low seventies and my
wife and I had a wonderful drive in our '76 TR6 .  Started out and ended with
problems though.  My battery was low and while pulling the bonnet release,
the handle broke off in my hand.  A handy pair of vise-grips saved the day,
but I am in the market for a new bonnet release cable unless someone has a
neat trick for replacing the pull handle.  The problem didn't ruin the drive.
However, the fuel gauge registered empty the entire time, though I know I had
gasoline.  After returning, I removed the sending unit from the tank and the
nylon float is obviously full of gas.  The unit works when I manually
manipulated the arm so I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion for
something to seal and coat the float with after I allow the gas to evaporate
out of the crack.  Still grinning from the drive though.  All in all a
wonderful day.

David Gill