re: TR Hood Latch article requested

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: re: TR Hood Latch article requested
From: Wayne Whippo <WayneWhippo@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:44:55 -0400
Carl,

Check the "Garage Spot" on the Capital Triump Register web page at:
   http://www.clark.net/pub/rweeks/ctr.html
for a writeup on the "Alternative Hood Release" or go directly to:
   http://www.clark.net/pub/rweeks/hood_release.html

I've installed one and it works wonderfully.

I did the following for the activating link:

I already had an emergency hood opening kit from Moss (#807-088)
which included: 1) a standard inner bonnet release cable with handle
(TRF #FD80 p363) 2) a cable stop (TRF #?), and 3) a 1/2" grommet
(TRF #GS35 p475).

I drilled and tapped a 8-32 hole in the end of the new release lever
and installed an additional 7/32" long 8-32 screw with loctite. The
cable stop can then be screwed onto this screw. The cable stop should
be allowed to pivot on this screw (like a trunnion) as the release
cable is pulled. The screw must be short enough not to hit the cable
when it is installed in the  hole in the cable stop.

>From inside the car I drilled a 3/16" hole upward through the front
left corner of the stay assembly (TRF #FW7 p405) and through the
firewall. The stay assembly extends forward under the glove box.
The hole is centered 3/16" from the front and 3/16" from the left
edge of stay assembly. I then enlarged the firewall hole to 1/2"
and installed the rubber grommet.

I then installed the release cable up through the grommet and through
the cable stop, tightened the cable stop and cut the cable to the
desired length.

The stay assembly supports the release handle and it is very easy to
operate.

Any questions? Hope this helps,

Wayne Whippo (Digest mode)
Boulder, Colorado