TR4 - Tires Rubbing on Fender

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 - Tires Rubbing on Fender
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:36:30 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,

Can I go to the well again for wisdom.   I just finished the conversion to
wire wheels last weekend.... boy does the car look great.  They are
standard 4.5" x 15 60-spoke wheels with the same 165x15 78 or 80 profile
Dunlops I had on the disc wheels.

I have been driving the car to work that last two days.  I have a strange
thing going on.  When turning to the right at speed... therefore generating
some body roll and I traverse some bump or lump in the road... I get a
momentary rubbing noise where the front tire is hitting on the fender
(wing).  Does not happen on the right side.  I notice that there is
slightly less clearance between the tire and the front edge of the wheel
well on the side making the noise.

This never happened before with the disc wheels.  The track is a little
wider now... you can notice it.  The suspension is OK but tired.... PO did
new rubber bushings up top but the shocks are tired and I have no way to
judge the springs.  I will check for travel stops tomorrow morning.

Anybody seen this before.  Could just be a fender bender that was not put
back all the way.

TIA

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA