Re: Carb Question

To: Lee Waters <leew@amaonline.com>
Subject: Re: Carb Question
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:45:32 +0100
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi, Lee,

Lee Waters wrote:

> Have always had trouble with idle.
> when I did a carb rebuild some time ago, I took the butterflies out and
> cleaned them.  When I put them back in I got them reversed.  It was quite
> noticeable and I turned them around.  Car runs fine but idles high (2000)
> was able to get down to 1500 one time.  Is it possible that after getting
> the butterflies in the right direction that they could still be out of
> adjustment.

Sure is possible. The trick is to put the screws in loosely, then close
the throttle firmly all the way to centre the throttle plate in the carb
body. This means backing off the idle screw.
How to check it? Hold the carb body up to the light and look through it.
If you can see light, it isn't centred.
When it is, tighten and lock the screws.
The fast tickover will be air getting past the not-fully-closed throttle
plates.

Cheers,

Dave Hill
'72 2.5PI
'72 MGB GT

 It seemd to me that they just seated in place.