Adding alternator to a 4A

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Adding alternator to a 4A
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:23:54 -0400
I have perused the VTR maintenance page about removing a generator
and placing an alternator.  I also understand the current carrying limitation
of the stock wiring, and therefore the need for a heavy cable running to
the solenoid and hence to the battery.

I hate giving up the (+) side of the ammeter by hooking the alternator
directly to the battery, but I really do not want to fry the wiring.

I figured that I could install a big cut-off switch in-line with the heavy
cable to the solenoid so I could run the power through the stock wiring
when the battery is not too low.  I could then switch the alternator directly
to the battery if the car had not been run ia a while.

I then thought that I'd hate to forget to throw the switch and fry the wiring
anyway.

I then thought about that useless voltage regulator sitting in the engine
compartment.
I am sure that it is possible to rig up a solenoid to do the function of that
big
switch.  It would need to come on if the current in the main wiring gets too
high.
It then should stay on for the rest of the time the engine is running.  I.E.
once engaged, the solenoid needs to stay on.  It needs to be able to carry
the 60 or 90 amps that I could get out of the alternator.

Anybody know of such a beast?  I am not sure what such a solenoid's
original purpose would be, but it needs to switch on a certain current, then
stay on.

-Tony