Re: Wheels

To: tr <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 13:54:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Fergie wrote to tr:

> Considering replacing my beat up wire wheels with Minilites or
> Panasports. In browsing the catalogs, it appears that they are
> available only in 15 x 5 1/2" size (or larger). Original steel wheel
> on a TR3 was 15 x 4 1/2". I have 165R15 radials on the car and am not
> planning to replace them. Two questions...Will 165s be okay on a 5
> 1/2" rim?  Is a 5 1/2" rim too wide for a TR3?

Whether or not the rims are too wide for your 165R15 radials depends on
the tire brand.  Every tire manufacturer publishes tables showing the
minimum and maximum rim width recommended for each tire size.  Find a tire
dealer who sells whatever brand and model tire you have and ask to see the
table.

Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E
fold@bcpl.net