Re: No Spark Spit

To: KHOCO@aol.com
Subject: Re: No Spark Spit
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 07:25:54 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Ken :

With the hot lead disconnected, check the resistance across the two low
tension coil terminals.  It should either be in the 1.1-1.5 ohm range
(ballast required) or in the 2.7-3.5 ohm range (no ballast required).
(My book says a 70 Spit should have a ballast, but ...)  While you're at
it, check resistance from the high tension terminal to either low
tension, it should be 7-10 Kohm.

Then reconnect the wires, turn the engine until the points are closed,
turn on the ignition, and check the voltage from each low tension lead
to ground.  The points side should be less than 1 volt.  The hot side
should be either 6-9 volts (ballast present) or 11-12 volts (ballast not
present).

Now turn the engine until the points open.  Check that both voltages
rise to 11-12 volts.

If everything checks out, replace first the condensor, then the coil,
with either new or 'known good' units.  Both are sometimes bad, even
when new.  (I think the ones from your GT6+ should fit ...)

BTW, a non-ballast coil used with a ballast will usually run, but not
well.  A ballast coil used without a ballast will run, but will burn the
points rapidly, burning them out in 1000 miles or so.

Randall
59 TR3A